The city of Montalcino is set on a hill to 564 mt. on the level of the sea, even if the maximum altitude of 661 mt. it is reached in the impending hill of Knoll Civitella, important archaeological site - etrusco of the territory ilcinese.
The Commune of Montalcino, that with an extension of 243 Kmqs. it is among the vast of whole central Italy, it has been serving by now part for some years, together with St. Quirico of Orcia, Pienza, Castiglione of Orcia and Radicofani of the Park Artistic Disposition and Cultural of the Val of Orcia.
The town district is covered, to west, from Mediterranean stain and from woods where you/they prevail the leccis, from this tree it very probably derives the name of the town: Mons-Ilcinus, from the Latin Ilex - leccio.
The surrounding country is interested instead by the cultivation of the grapevine from which wines of tall merit are drawn, what the young Red of Montalcino D.O.C., the famous Moscatello D.O.C. and the Sant'Antimo D.O.C.. But among the productions of the wines, in the last ventennio, a place of honor is up to the famous Brunello that for its undisputed merits it has acquired deserves it denomination D.O.C.G.. Of great value also the production of the oil extravergine of olive and above all of the honey. The breeding of the bees in fact it has entered, recently, to belong to the economic activities of the place, so much that her “Week de Honey” of Montalcino (annual appointment to the beginning of September organized by the ASGA) a moment of meeting and remarkable exchange it is become for the whole national and international panorama of sector.
In the 814 the territory ilcinese was given by Ludovico the Pious one to the abbey of Sant'Antimo. This church abbaziale, that rises to 9 Kms. from the inhabited center in direction Castelnuovo of the abbot, is one among the most beautiful Romanesque churches of Italy. According to a legend the church rises on an ancient chapel done votiva to erect from Charles Magno in 781, the great and stately Abbey it is erected instead between 1000 and 1118 and it is an extraordinary example of lombardo-French Romanesque architecture.
The inside presents to three aisles, the side ones with times to cruise are sormantate from galleries and uniforms from monolithic columns with elegant and fanciful capitals to geometric interlacements, floral and figures of animals: typical that raffigurante Daniel in the pit of the lions. The apse to ambulatory with radial chapels constitutes, together with the materials of construction (onyx and alabaster), the part more characteristic of the temple. To the inside they are preserved a wooden crucifix of the XII sec and a sculpture in wood policromo of the XIII sec. raffigurante the Madonna with its Child.
Montalcino is also remembered for the Feast of the Thrush (last Sunday of October). An important historical rievocazione of the ancient State montalcinese, characterized by the presence of the four Districts of the city: Borghetto, Pianello, Wrinkle and Suffering, that in that day after a long procession, with customs of epoch, along the city streets accompanied by the dancers of the “Trescone”, ancient popular dance, is challenged in a competition of draught with the arc that recalls the hunting parties to the wild boar of the slow-Gothic period.
View of Montalcino
In the winery
Fortress of Montalcino
Fortress of Montalcino
Brunello of Montalcino
Since 1870, the word “Brunello” appears in the documents of the declaration of the grapes of the Council of Siena, to define a particular kind of wine of Montalcino.
And today, the Brunello always proposes its tastes so rich, so fine, so refined and unaltered to rispect and to preserve the own culture.
This is possible with the watchful control of the Producer Association
( Consorzio of Brunello) and also to the Italian D.O.C.G. that define and guarantee all the process (from the production until the trading)
The name Brunello is now a symbol of Italian style, its' ever presents in all the most famous table of allthe world and obtaining big approvals in every situations, giving pleasure and charm.