Resource Guide to Traveling and Visiting Tuscany



 


TRAVELPIXEL - start your journey here!


Home     Contact    Links
Arezzo

Of ancient origin, it rises on a hill that is lifted in the basin in which the great valleys of the Casentino converge of the superior Valdarno and of the Valdichiana. From the etrusco nucleus, big way corresponding to the area in which you found the Cathedral, the Walk of Lawn and the medicea Fortitude, Arezzo is dilated going down toward the plain one. In the monumental historical center it prevails a housebuilding of Renaissance aspect, grown in the centuries which the city had entered to belong to the Florentine dominoes.

From the gardens of the I Walk some Lawn it is necessary to reach the Fortitude XVI century, whether to admire from the slopes the stupendous sight of the city, in which it detach the tower of the Building of the Prior (sec. XIV) and the bell tower of the Cathedral.

Ancient popular tastes preserve streets as those of the Pileatis and of Borgunto, which last leads in the scenografica it places Great, delimited aloft from the Building of the Loggias, of the Vasari,con anchors under the portico the sequence of the native shops.
  
Of forehead they are made to notice a typical house aretina in bricks and a tall tower; on the side they are lined up, in slope, the apse" Romanesque of the parish of S. Maria, the building of the Court with his eighteenth-century stairway and the Building of the FratemitÓ of the Laymen" (sec. XIV), one of the beauties of Arezzo for the elegant decorativismo produced by the unusual meeting of Gothic grace and Renaissance harmony.
 
The plaza welcomes every I tame him some month a characteristic mercatino of antiquariato, occasion to know the easy and polite cordiality aretina.

In the parish of S. Maria they are made to admire the fašade, with his tall lace of loggette and the bassorilievi's of his portals and the solemn inside, with the suggestive crypt and the greatest altar from which rays to a stately the Pietro's Lorenzetti polittico (1320). II characteristic bell tower with more turns of bifore you/he/she has been rechristened "tower from the one hundred holes."
Many masterpieces are preserved between the harvests of painting and sculpture of the Gallery and Medieval and Modern Museum, where it also shows up an important collection of maioliche.
 
As many notable it is the Museum Archaeological Maecenas. (closed the first one and third Mondays of the month), that is found in the zone where ruins of the amphitheater stay Romano: mirrors etruschi, oreficerie, coins, amphoras, figurines, amulets, fragments of mosaici,urne, spectacular archaic bronzettis surround the very famous series of jewels coral vases.
(The century AC), produced aretini of Roman art characterized by the color and by the stupendous embossed decorations. 
Not far, the house of G. Vasarl. In the Gothic church of S. Domenico, that ago from backdrop to a planted with trees plaza, there is a magnificent Crocifisso' of Cimabue.

But the appointment londamentale, to Arezzo, that remains with the cycle of frescos" painting (1453-1464) from Peter of the Francesca in the choir of the church of S. Francesco: they narrate 13 Legend of the Cross and they constitute, in the history of the painting of all the places and every time, one of the absolute vertexes.

Another fresco of Peter, raffigurante the Maddaleoa., it is then in the Cathedral, where the great grave is imposed also. of the bishop and gentleman of Arezzo Guido Worm-holed (sec. XIV), with an extraordinary raising of reliefs tiles; amazing the bright vision of the glass door to colors, work of a famous French teacher, Guillaume de Sea. sillat (sec. XVl).

To the extremity If of the city the church of S. Maria of the Graces, preceded by a portico' of Benedict by Maiano (sec. XV), confirmation the importance of the renaissance in the artistic circumstance aretina. 

Duomo of Arezzo
Duomo of Arezzo
Piazza Grande
Piazza Grande
Church Santa Maria Della Pieve
Walls of Arezzo